Total Time: 40 minutes
RECIPE OVERVIEW A classic fried egg sandwich is good 24-7, and with this recipe you can make four of them at once. Start by using the broiler to toast buttered English muffins. Next, cook bacon in a skillet, set it aside, and use the flavorful drippings to cook four eggs. After a minute over the heat, the eggs get topped with the crispy bacon and a handful of shredded cheddar cheese. Last, cover the pan and let it sit until the eggs are cooked through and the cheese is melted. Tomato and baby spinach add freshness, and a spicy mayonnaise adds richness and a kick of heat to these crispy, buttery sandwiches.
4 English muffins, split
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon hot sauce
4 large eggs, divided
6 slices bacon
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
1½ ounces (1½ cups) baby spinach
4 thin tomato slices
1. Adjust oven rack 5 inches from broiler element and heat broiler. Spread insides of muffins evenly with butter and arrange split side up on rimmed baking sheet. Combine mayonnaise and hot sauce in bowl; set aside. Crack 2 eggs into small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining 2 eggs and second small bowl.
2. Cook bacon in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until crispy, 7 to 9 minutes; transfer to paper towel–lined plate. When cool enough to handle, break each slice in half.
3. Broil muffins until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through broiling. Flip muffins and broil until just crisp on second side, 1 to 2 minutes; set aside while cooking eggs.
4. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Working quickly, pour 1 bowl of eggs in 1 side of skillet and second bowl of eggs in other side. Cover and cook for 1 minute.
5. Working quickly, top each egg with 3 pieces bacon and ¼ cup cheddar. Cover skillet; remove from heat; and let stand until cheddar is melted and egg whites are cooked through, about 2 minutes.
6. Spread mayonnaise mixture on muffin bottoms and place 1 bacon-and-cheese-topped egg on each. Divide spinach evenly among sandwiches, then top with tomato slices and muffin tops. Serve.